How to Increase Projector Lamp Life ? Top Tips on Usage and Maintenance
Projector manufacturers generally rate their projector lamp to work for a certain number of hours (usually between 2000-10000 hours) depending on the model, but these are rated lamplife and as such are not guaranteed.
Lamplife will depend on many factors including usage or application, installation setup, ventilation of the projector, regular maintenance, manufacturer recommended setting and proper operations. Pls read further on How to Increase Projector Lamp Life.
Top Tips to Increase your Projector Lamplife :
- Always use the projector remote to switch off the projector, the projector will go into a standby mode where the image is turned off but the fan accelerates to cool the projector. This process takes 5-10 minutes, allow the process to complete before switching the mains off or unplugging.
- It is a good practice to switch off the projector during tea/coffee/lunch breaks (even a 10-15 minutes break will be good for your projector).
- If you are using a mobile projector, allow the projector to cool down properly before stuffing it inside the carrying case or moving it. The temperature of an operating lamp is very high, moving the projector when the lamp is hot may result in lamp fracture and early lamp failure.
- All intake and exhaust vents of projector should be free of obstruction. Do not place any file folders, papers, coffee mugs or any other items near the projector on the table. Adequate ventilation space should be provided for ceiling mounted / installed projectors.
- Projector come with detachable air filters to prevent dust from entering the projector, these filters tend to collect dust overtime considerably reducing the capacity to cool the projector. Make sure to clean the filters every 3 or 6 months depending on the operating environment. Change the filters if required.
- Get your projector thoroughly serviced by a reputable service provider every 1 to 2 years depending on usage to ensure that you get the most out of your projector.
- Almost all latest projectors have a provision to set the lamp on economy mode, you can easily enable this mode via projector setting with the help of the remote. By selecting the economy mode the picture output will be dimmer but will greatly increase the lamplife (some models tend to nearly double the lamplife in economy mode). Projectors operating temperature and power consumption is also lower in the economy mode. This tip should top your answer for your query on how to increase projector lamp life.
- Do not turn the projector on and off rapidly. Projector have ballast to ignite the lamps at high voltage and the lamps typically take about a minute before they produce a stable current. Turning the projector on and off rapidly may cause the lamp to fail permanently.